Search This Blog

Categories

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

S'Mores Housewarming Gift

If you've been following my blog, you know that my husband and I are buying a house. We actually close on Friday! Ah! We're so excited. Anyway, I was on pinterest (of course) and I saw some housewarming baskets. What? Awesome! I mean, I've heard of housewarming gifts. I've heard of gift baskets. I don't live under a rock. But I was thinking about how nice they sound. It's a good way to show your friends that you care. And you DON'T have to spend a fortune to make one!

It seems like everyone we know is buying a house right now! My sister just bought one last fall, 2 of our friends that are getting married this summer built a house this past winter, and 2 of our other friends literally just moved into their new home a week and a half ago. I thought it would be nice to bring them something just to show that we care. Since we're currently packing, we don't have a ton of time to make something extravagant. We also don't have a ton of extra money. Here's what I came up with and it cost me less than $10! (Sorry about the bad quality pictures. I made this pretty quick and brought it right over to our friends.)




I wrote a little poem for them. If you're not into poems or you think they're too cheesy (cause let's be honest, they kind of are), just put some kind of tag on it that says "Welcome to your new home!"

I bought this lantern from Hobby Lobby. It's originally listed for $9.99, but there's almost ALWAYS a coupon online for 40% off one regular priced item, making it only about $6! They come in almost any color, too. The little 'can' that you see at the bottom is like a Sterno can. You open it up, light it on fire, and use it to roast your marshmallows. I got this one from Dollar Tree. I put enough stuff in there to make 8 s'mores (4 skewers, 8 marshmallows, 16 graham crackers, and 2 chocolate bars). I originally put the marshmallows and graham crackers in Ziplock bags, but then I remembered that I had some leftover treat bags (which you can also get at Dollar Tree). It looks much classier with these bags.

This is what you get! Our friends loved their gift!

Here's a rundown of the costs:
Lantern $6
'can of fire' $1
chocolate bars $1 (I actually got a package of 6 that cost $3)
Marshmallows FREE (I already had some)
Graham Crackers FREE (I already had some)
Treat Bags FREE (I already had some)
Skewers FREE (I already had some)
Total Cost $8

Even if you have to go out and buy everything, it should cost you less than $15. That's still a pretty good deal in my book.

Leave your ideas for what to put in a Housewarming Gift Basket in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love feedback on what I write.