Search This Blog

Categories

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Recipe: Lasagna

This recipe has been in my family for over 40 years, but it didn't start there. My grandma actually got this recipe from a Weight Watcher's meeting. That's right. It's actually fairly healthy. And it tastes great, too. I always assemble my lasagna the night before. What does this accomplish? It means that I don't have to cook my noodles. I put together all my layers with the hard noodles and then overnight while it sits in the fridge, all the juices from everything soak into the noodles and they're nice and soft when you cook the lasagna the next night.



Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 clove garlic, crushed or 1/8 tsp. minced
1/2 lb. ground steak (or lean hamburger)
1 can (1 lb 12 oz) Italian tomatoes
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. granulated sweetener
6 lasagna noodles
1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
1 egg
4 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 T. grated Parmesan cheese
Paprika

Steps:
1. Combine 1/2 cup water, onion, celery, garlic. Vook over medium heat until tender and water evaporates.

2. Add meat and saute until browned (drain fat). Stir in tomatoes, paste, parsley, oregano, basil, salt and granulated sweetener.

3. Bring to boiling, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook noodles. Combine cottage cheese, and egg in bowl. Blend well.

5. Place 2 noodles in bottom of lightly greased 10 by 6 by 2 in. baking dish. Top with 1/3 of cheese mixture, then 1/3 of meat sauce. Repeat twice. Arrange mozzarella on top, sprinkle with parmesan and paprika.



6. Bake uncovered 30 minutes (350 degrees) or until very hot and golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.


This is the recipe word for word that I got from my mom a couple years ago. I usually use a larger pan and use 9 lasagna noodles instead of 6 to make it 3 across. Also, I have found that it tends to take a lot longer than 30 minutes to cook. I usually cook mine for about 40-50 minutes. Other than that, I generally make my lasagna exactly as the recipe says.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love feedback on what I write.