Search This Blog

Categories

Sunday, January 12, 2014

How to Take Pictures of Your Kid in Snow


I took pictures of my son last year in the snow and then I did it again this year. I LOVE the snow pictures so I thought I would share with you a couple things I've learned.

First, you need to get all of your equipment ready. Fill your pockets, pack a bag/purse that you can throw over your shoulder, whatever it takes. If you're taking photographs of a child that's old enough to walk, even up to about 10-12 years-old, they will be active. They may not always listen to you when you ask them to be still so you need to be able to move around quickly. I bring with me 2 lenses, my standard portrait lens and my zoom lens. I also bring along a microfiber rag to wipe off my lens in case it gets snow on it (I do my best to avoid this, but sometimes it happens). The last thing I keep with me is an extra SD card, just in case.

The next thing you need to do is to bundle up your kid. I'm talking double socks, scarf, mittens, you name it. You can always take off the mittens when you actually start shooting, but they should be there for before and after the shoot starts. And while we're talking about bundling up, make sure you do this yourself. Your hands are going to be out in the cold so at the very least, you should have some gloves on. BONUS TIP: I actually wrap my scarf around my camera when I'm not using it. If I don't have a scarf with me, I tuck it in my coat and use my own body heat to keep my camera from getting too cold.

Okay, we're finally ready to go outside and take some pictures! You need to choose a location. I like to choose locations that have a lot of nature. I generally start out in my own backyard, but if I do decide to take it further than that, there's a small wooded area about a block from my house. I've also chosen plenty of parks. Since we're talking about snow, city settings don't USUALLY work out. (I say usually because there is always an exception.) The snow is dirty and just doesn't look very pretty.

If your child has a lot of energy, let them run around. You can take a couple pictures while he/she is playing, but this is mostly so that they'll be more likely to listen when you ask them to stay for a couple seconds. A cute active shot you can get is to ask your child to throw snow up in the air. You can usually get a good smile out of him/her and there's snow coming down adding a little something to the shot. You can also get them to play peek-a-boo behind a tree with you.



When it comes to posed photos, it helps to have someone else with you. If you're not the parent, this is easy, get the parent to help you. If you are the parent, see if you can get your spouse or a family friend to help you. Say you choose to have your child leaning against a tree, it helps to have someone behind you to get the child's attention and get them to laugh. You can bring funny sounding toys, play peek-a-boo behind the photographer, tell him/her jokes, say funny words, whatever it takes. Just don't tell them to smile. This doesn't really work. You want a genuine smile. Sometimes, the serious faces those young kids can give you make for good photos too.




I hope these tips are useful for you. Let me know how your photoshoots turn out! What worked for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love feedback on what I write.