Search This Blog

Categories

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Super Bowl Cookies: Footballs and Stadiums

I love cookies. Of all things to make for a party, I love making cookies the most! I make them for baby showers, birthday parties, Christmas, etc. So surprise surprise, I made cookies for Super Bowl.



I started out with my amazing, from scratch, sugar cookies (don't worry, I'll share that recipe eventually). These are not terribly difficult to make, but you could also make them from a mix. I'm pretty sure Betty Crocker has one that's good. So anyway, after you have that done, you need to roll out your dough on a flour-covered surface. I am ashamed to admit that I didn't plan enough ahead of time. I couldn't find a football cookie cutter anywhere and I didn't have enough time to order one. Anyway, I did find a small wooden football at Hobby Lobby. So what did I do? I bought that little wooden football and I traced it with a pairing knife in the dough. See? Resourceful! (However, I must warn you that when you cut the dough with a knife and don't use a cookie cutter, sometimes the edges turn out a little cracked) Then, I made rectangles by outlining an old gift card. I like to freeze my dough for a couple minutes before I put it in the oven.

After they were done cooking, I let them cool for a while. I've used lots of different kinds of icing for my cookies, but I decided that for this, plain old store bought icing would work just fine. I got one tub of vanilla and one tub of chocolate.

To decorate the footballs, I put some icing in a squeeze bottle and outlined the footballs with chocolate icing. I then placed the bottle in the microwave and warmed it up. This makes the icing a little runny. This is a pretty quick and easy process. I filled the inside of the footballs and then spread it out a little with the tip of the squeeze bottle. Then, I let the cookies sit for a while while the icing hardened a little.


For the stadium cookies, I started by outlining the stadium sections in white. Put at least half the tub of vanilla icing in your squirt bottle. Then I warmed the vanilla icing like I did the chocolate and filled the stadiums. Then, I poured as many sprinkles as I could fit on those cookies and let them dry and harden up.

Use the squirt bottle with the vanilla icing in it to add the laces to the football. Those are now done.

The next step is to color some of the vanilla icing green. Make sure that you have enough white to make the lines on the field. Then use the remaining vanilla icing and green food coloring to make green icing. I did the same thing I did with the rest of the cookies. I outlined the section, warmed the icing, and filled them. Let them dry. Then use the remaining white icing to make lines on the 'field'. When you're done, you should have cookies that look just like a stadium and footballs.


I hope you enjoy your cookies as much as we will! I think they'll really add something to our Superbowl party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love feedback on what I write.