Search This Blog

Categories

Friday, February 21, 2014

DIY bottle opener

I wanted to make my husband something to put in our 'drinks corner' in our basement. We have a mini fridge and shelves to keep glasses and booze on. I thought he needed a bottle opener. And I don't mean just any little dinky bottle opener. I mean a nice wall-mounted one. Well, all the ones I found online to buy were just so cheasy. They all had these random sayings on them that my husband just wouldn't be in to. So I decided to make him one.



Supplies:
round decorative piece of wood (I found mine at Hobby Lobby)

paint (I chose black for the background and blue for the accent)
paint brush
bottle opener (I got mine for just a couple dollars at Hobby Lobby here)


Steps:
1. Paint the round decorative piece of wood. I chose black because I thought it would be a good neutral background color. Then let it dry.
2. Paint your accent letter on. I actually just freehanded an L on there, but you could easily use a stencil or something. I chose turquoise because honestly, it's my favorite color. Let that dry.
3. Here's the important step. FIND A STUD. Seriously, when you decide where you want your bottle to go, find a stud to put it in. Then, attach the decorative piece of wood to the wall with a 2” screw. The reason I think this is so important is because of how much force you use to open a bottle. If it's not in a stud, your bottle opener will rip out of the wall the second you try to open your first bottle.
4. Now screw the actual bottle opener into the wood. I used 2” screws again and put them right in line with the stud so I have 3 screws into a stud. I know my bottle opener's not going anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love feedback on what I write.