Search This Blog

Categories

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Valentine's Day Twinkies

This year, my husband and I are going cheap on Valentine's Day. He just started a new job taking a pay cut so we didn't want to spend a lot of money on things that we probably don't need. Anyway, I got my husband a 6-pack of a beer he recently tried and really liked (Kentucky Ale) and a bag of shelled peanuts. Just to add a little something extra in there, I decided to make some almond bark covered Twinkies! (Don't worry, I saw this on Pinterest) How good does that sound?



I started out with your average box of Twinkies. (Aren't we all glad they're back?) I shoved a lollipop stick (which I bought at Hobby Lobby) in one end while I kept one finger on the other end making sure that the stick didn't poke through the other end.



Then I melted my almond bark. I always use my double boiler. I used to melt it in the microwave, but when I started doing it this way, I learned it's so much easier. It's VERY hard (nearly impossible) to burn the chocolate and it stays nice and warm and thin. I covered the Twinkies in the almond bark the best I could. Honestly, mine don't look pretty after this step, but as you'll see, that doesn't much matter so I suppose it's pretty hard to mess up.



Then I added a couple pieces of red melting chocolates. I think I added about 10, but the number really does depend on what color you want and how much almond bark you have left. Keep in mind, you can always add more. I made mine a medium pink. Then I drizzled it over the Twinkies.



I added more red melting chocolates to make the color a light red. I then drizzled that over the Twinkies. I added even more red melting chocolates to make a true red and drizzled that over the Twinkies. I decided that was enough, but if you wanted, you could easily start with a really light pink and go to a dark red. To finish them up, I added some pearl sprinkles and red sugar.



I think they turned out pretty good and I really think my husband is going to love them!
Oh! and what did I do with the leftover chocolate you ask? Well, I couldn't let it go to waste so I put a couple handfuls of pretzels on a sheet pan covered with wax paper and separated them to make a single layer. Then, I put the rest of the almond bark in a squeeze bottle and used a fast drizzle method to cover the pretzels. I added some sprinkles and bam! An extra dessert! (This is why diets don't work! Kidding..)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love feedback on what I write.